Zovio is an education technology services company that partners with higher education institutions and employers to deliver innovative, personalized solutions to help learners and leaders achieve their aspirations.
Zovio’s long-term data governance strategy involves metadata management, data mapping/lineage, data quality management, and reference data management for regulatory compliance in addition to business transformation. Following input from stakeholders across the company, Zovio established its data governance program and long-term roadmap. The team then began evaluating technology options by forming a selection panel, reviewing analyst research, requesting proposals, selecting vendors, and conducting a proof of concept.
The erwin Data Intelligence Suite (erwin DI) was chosen as Zovio’s data governance platform because of its sophistication, robust functionality, and ease of use. Among other key factors are its automation capabilities, particularly integration with Tableau for BI reporting and various other third-party tools.
- Governance of key data elements within the company’s most critical reports
- Common terms and standardized definitions to ensure executive leadership and other key stakeholders understand reporting
- Auto generation and documentation of data mappings and data lineage for Tableau BI and six other mission-critical tools (SSRS, SSAS, PBI, SSIS, SQL and MS Azure Data Factory)
- Ability to support technology and data teams with data mappings and end-to-end lineage
- Sensitive data discovery and tagging (e.g., student addresses and social security numbers) for GDPR and CCPA compliance
- Easy and efficient self-service data discovery for data governance staff