E.ON is an international, privately owned energy supplier based in Essen, Germany, with approximately 73,000 employees. With a clear focus on three strong core businesses — Energy Networks, Customer Solutions and Renewables — the company aims to become the partner of choice for energy and customer solutions.
As part of its digital transformation and innovation efforts, E.ON was determined to achieve better governance over its rapidly expanding sources of data — and leverage them for maximum impact.
The company realized that taking better advantage of data and data intelligence would help improve customer services, increase efficiency in energy production, and make it easier to meet the regulatory requirements of the countries where E.ON operates. erwin Data Intelligence (erwin DI) was deployed for automated metadata management, data harvesting, data lineage documentation and impact analysis.
- Identification of more than 8 million Euros in business impact after 18 months
- Rapidly scaling metadata management capabilities, with 44 data domains defined, 175 users trained, and 550 business terms created
- Ensuring a common, compliant way of working across all RUs and BUs, based on standards, roles, policies and understanding
- Estimated potential savings of 30 percent on external data management costs and a 50 percent reduction in time spent on data discovery
- Delivering “data governance as a service” for one-stop data access and lineage